Wednesday, December 25, 2013

DIY Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix in a mason jar



With the holidays around the corner and still no source of income, I decided to get crafty and finally bring one of my many pocketed Pinterest projects to life. Initially the idea came from Lauren Conrad's blog, but just google "mason jar gifts" and take your pick. Everything from cakes, mixes, scrubs, dips and even sewing kits, there's definitely something for everyone in your life.

I think the best part about this project was how affordable it was. I initially planned on giving some of my best girlfriends a duo of nail polish from Ross or TJ Maxx but at over $8 a set, it was beginning to add up! I headed over to WinCo with my mom at about 11pm (they're open 24 hours and great for last minute ladies like myself) and gathered the supplies. The awesome thing about WinCo was that you could buy in bulk! I know they aren't the most socially conscious retailer out there but feel free to buy in bulk at Whole Foods if that fits your shopping practices better. You're going to get the best deal from the bulk bins.

12 8 oz canning jars $7.98
1 lb belgian cocoa mix $2.00
mini marshmallows $0.98
1/2 lb peppermint candies $1.50
--------------------------------
= about $12.50, or a little over a dollar per jar!

I'm no graphic designer by any means, I created some tags in Microsoft Word but it was a process. After I had already finished the project I wanted to go back and play with making tags. Well, silly me! There are a ton of premade labels online, especially if you buy the easy stickers by Avery, their website has a lot of templates to choose from.

I originally wanted chocolate chips but the ones my Mom had on hand were old and not fit for gifting and I was already too lazy to go back to the store. Assembly was easy: cocoa mix, peppermint candy, (the layer that would have been chocolate), marshmallows, gift tag & string. I've seen them done way cuter with bakers twine or even a pretty ribbon. If I had my Silhouette Portrait I would've cut some snowflakes to tie on as well. Or even if I had my cardstock, choose a cuter design for the back of the tags than the hot pink cardstock I already had (haha!).

Next, using the extra, I had to taste test.... Delicious!

Update: My parents gifted me Rumchata a bit early. If you don't know what that is, it's horchata (a Mexican rice milk drink) and rum. Add that to hot cocoa? Heaven!!

What are you making for your friends if you're on a budget this year? Or better yet, what are you drinking while you make them? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment