Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My First DIY Subway Art!


Like I said, I am NO graphic designer. I lack a lot of creativity and a design eye. However, I can't help but love the look of subway art. There are so many different ways to do it from very simple to very complicated. At my parent's house, they only have black ink and white paper so I was a little limited. Thankfully there are thousands of FREE fonts out there one can use to jazz up their documents. I used this tutorial for getting started on my first attempt at subway art.

I created the above image with text boxes and a standard size of 8.5 x 11. I've been using MS Word for way over a decade and just learned these two things.
1. To make MUDSLIDE vertical, highlight the text box -> Format tab -> Text -> Text Direction.
2. It is also easy to space out the letters, ex. Gin + Tonic. Highlight the text -> Home tab -> Font -> expand menu -> Character Spacing -> Spacing. And adjust as needed.

Those little tidbits are probably basic word knowledge but they sure come in handy when making subway art and you don't have something better like MS Publisher or Picasa already on your computer. Anywho, this little piece will be the cocktail menu for my family's Christmas get together tomorrow...ah! it's 12:26, today! Well, Merry Christmas!
Please share your tips! This was my first attempt at this and I'm sure it won't be my last. I'd really like to try this in a cutout version using the silhouette. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment